Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I'm not a hoarder, I'm resourceful.

If your treasures are organized, they can't call it hoarding. Right?

No, the above picture is not my pantry, but isn't it fantastic? Is it sick that I kinda love the way that looks? The Santa Monica Luskeys have taken a liking to the ever popular TLC show "Hoarding: Buried Alive" and it has forced us to take a look at the things we keep and the things we discard. Last night while doing dishes, I had left the recently finished butter container out on the counter. The following conversation ensued:

Brian: Trash? (Holding the empty butter container up for my verdict.)
Kim: What? No! I had that out to rinse and put in the dishwasher.
Brian: Hoarder.
Kim: (Gasp!) My Mom keeps butter containers and she's not a hoarder! It's for leftovers!

I admit, I like to recycle plastic containers for future use, but does that make me a hoarder? I do like to keep ribbons off of gifts and cards from my grandmothers and corks from special occasion wine bottles. Hoarder? I do love to keep things, but I also like to purge so I believe I have a healthy balance of possessions coming in vs. things going out.

But what if this is what the hoarders think about themselves, too? Oy...

2 comments:

  1. I have a shopping bag full of letters I received when I was in high school. Hoarder? More baking pans than I could ever fill. Serving platters I know I'll never use. Hoarder? I say as long as you have cabinet space for it, it's not hoarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Erika, I couldn't agree more. I'm sure it's such a treat to go through that bag of letters! Sentimental, yes. Hoarder, never! :)

    ReplyDelete