Thursday, July 7, 2011

Markley's Medical Maladies

So our sweet puppy, Markley - who, yes, is now a whopping 40 pounds at 6 months of age even though they told us she would be 30 pounds full grown - has finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel as far as her health is concerned. And no, I don't mean that light, I mean the good light where she came back to the healthy side. For about a month she was touch and go, in and out of the hospital, on and off IV fluids, antibiotics, steroids and probiotics. (All fancy terms for no one could figure out what the heck was wrong with the poor girl so they kept throwing money at the problem trying new treatments until she was better.)

I'll spare you the gruesome details of her ailments - among other things she was suffering from "anorexia" (I nearly jumped across the examination table when I saw the vet scribble that horrendous accusation on her measly little notepad), diarrhea (ie: liquid stool), complete loss of interest in playtime and severe dehydration. She wasn't herself, she felt awful and I couldn't do anything to help her... it was the worst. Luckily, my girl bounced back with the help of one night in the hospital, several subcutaneous fluid injections and an impressive list of take-home pills, powders and liquids. Throughout the whole traumatic ordeal (still figuring out if it was more stressful for me or her) Markley never lost her ability to create some ever-so-hilarious and emotion-inducing pictures. What can I say, she was born to be a star!

I. LOVE. THIS. FACE.

All buckled in and ready to go back to the vet!

So she wouldn't take her IV out in the hospital...
Poor, sweet Markley.

Paws. All I see is paws in this picture.

Just... can't... take... one... more... step...

Coming inside from going potty.
Passing out before I could get the leash off.

Spilling out of her crate...

She honestly sleeps like this.

See!

Being coy in the car on the way to Houston.

Feeling much better. Digging with her best gal, Penny!

So what was wrong with her, you might ask? Oh, we still don't know. All we know is that we changed her food to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and she's a new dog! Hmm...
15 lb bag of Science Diet Sensitive Stomach... $25
Markley's Medical Bills (pre-pet insurance*)... $2000.00

And next we have a game called Creepy or Cool?! First question: I have 4 of Markley's baby teeth on bedside table. Creepy or Cool? You decide!

*If you have a pet, get pet insurance. If you think your pet won't get sick, you're wrong. That is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment